1) Make up your mind to be happy. Learn to discover joy and pleasure in simple and the most insignificant things.
2) Make the best of your circumstances. No one has everything and everyone has something of sorrow intermingled with gladness of life. The trick is to make the laughter outweigh the tears.
3) Don’t take yourself too seriously. No one else does. What? Take you seriously! Laugh at yourself, at your behavior and at your antics.
4) You can’t please everybody. There is no guaranteed formula for success, but there is an assured way for failure and that is—trying to please everybody. Don’t let criticism worry you. If you think you are what your friends and enemies say you are, you obviously do not know yourself.
An infallible sign of enlightenment: one no longer cares what people think and say.
5) Don’t let your neighbour set your standards. Don’t compare yourself with anyone in this world. If you do so, you are insulting yourself. Be yourself. Don’t imitate others. Instead of being a poor imitation, be a hundred percent original.
6) Do the things you enjoy doing, but stay out of debt. We may not always get to do what we like, so we should start liking what we do.
7) Never borrow trouble. Imaginary things are harder to bear than real ones.
8) Have no hatred for anything or being, even for a fraction of a moment, even in a dream. Since hate poison’s the soul, do not cherish hatred. The one we hate occupies rent-free space in our minds. Therefore forgive everyone for everything. Forgive, forget and march on. Love flourishes in giving and forgiving.
9) Avoid people who make you unhappy.
10) Don’t spend your time brooding over sorrows or mistakes. Don’t be the one who never gets over things. Time heals almost everything. Get over it and move on.
11) Do what you can for those less fortunate than yourself.
12) Always keep yourself busy at something. Have many interests. A busy person never has time to be unhappy.